dinsdag 12 maart 2013

An Awesome Wave - Alt-J

Perhaps this is the album that defined my newest major addition to my music collection - the album that made me open up to a sort of music I like to call 'hipster'. I fell in love with this band and their breathtakingly beautiful debut album. Songs are divided by interludes, which I think is beautiful and makes this album extra unique. These interludes are sort of songs, yet I would not call them official songs. It's really hard to explain, but I am most definitely sure that I really love what they did with these interludes!


Alt-J (∆) is a British Indie Rock band which formed back in 2007. Their official name, ∆, is pronounced as Alt-J because this is the keyboard combination you need to get the Greek sign, also known as Delta. In science, Delta means change, which is why this name is most appropriate for a revolutionary band like this. Their Debute, An Awesome Wave, released May 2012 and became a major album , gaining massive success and fame all over the world.

The first song I heard by Alt-J was Breezeblocks - still my favourite ∆ song! - and I just couldn't get over this song; it was nothing like any song I'd heard before and liked. Breezeblocks includes all things that made Alt-J what it is. First and foremost, the lead singer's voice, which is outstanding in all ways imagineable. Secondly, the soft parts that are inserted into their songs, and then are interrupted by instrumentals again. Thirdly, the repetition of their lyrics, without making the song sound boring. This is a love song I don't hate wholeheartedly. On the contrary, I came to like it very much!

A few weeks later, Alt-J was broadcasted on the radio, while I and my mother were in the car. This time, it was their song Mathilda. It instantly made my mom ask what this song was, because it reminded her of the Smashing Pumpkins. And she was right, this song is very much like the smashing pumpkins' songs! The softest song, the one I use almost every day as a lullaby. The soothing voice of the singer just calms me down (he makes the sounds, the sounds in me. To calm me down)

I started to listen to this album all the time. It's great for studying, relaxing, just background music, music to really listen to, while eating it's perfect, while reading. Basically always! - well, except for when you are in need of something energizing, because their songs sometimes may cause you to fall asleep.

The album art of An Awesome Wave is so incredibly pretty; whenever I see this in a store I feel the need to buy it because it would look so awesome on my shelves!

So when I saw that Alt-J was going to the Netherlands, to the Best Kept Secret Festival, I immediately bought tickets. So yeah, Alt-J live this summer! Can you believe that?! Because I still cannot :s
Alt-J's an awesome wave belongs in my 2012 album top 5, an amazing debut I still listen to almost on a daily base!

Do you like Alt-J or know any bands like them that you could recommend to me?

Love,
Margot

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten